CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2019 for AFAS 497P Global Africana Studies Experience Spring Break 2019 Tour to Paris, France.
Dates of travel: February 28-March 9, 2019
Watch the Video: https://youtu.be/CVlpNCGGOqs
The competitive Africana Studies Award Fund benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who wish to participate in the AFAS 497P Global Africana Studies Experience Spring Break 2019 Tour to Paris, France. Preference will be given to Africana Studies majors and minors.
Competitive awards may be awarded during Spring Break 2019 to participate in the Africana Studies’ Spring Break 2019 AFAS 497P Global Africana Studies Experience trip to Paris, France . (Up to fifteen (15) awards of $1,000 each may be given).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5;
- Unofficial copy of your transcript
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one must be from a supporting faculty member at the University of Arizona)
Statement of intent in which you answer the following three questions (total length for all 3 questions should be between 800-1000 words):
Why is studying abroad important to one’s education?
- What are your personal objectives and how will this program in Paris, France help you achieve them?
- What can you contribute to this program as a member of the group?
Open to all majors at UA (but preference will be given to Africana Studies majors and minors); recipients must use the award in Spring Break 2019. Please submit all requested materials above no later than November 30, 2018 by 4pm, to Ms. Marcela Thompson (email@example.com)Eligibility
UA full-time student in good standing who has a a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.Value of Scholarship
Fifteen (15) awards of $1,000 each.Who Can Apply?
Scholarships are open to all majors at UA (but preference will be given to Africana Studies majors and minors).
The Africana Studies Award Fund benefits full-time UA undergraduate students in good standing (IN ANY MAJOR) who wish to participate in the Arizona World Soccer Summer Program in France (Paris). For summer 2019, the program is in Paris, France, and overlaps with the Women's World Cup.
Link to program's description:
Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m. on Friday, January 25, 2019
Application requirements (to be submitted via the Study Abroad application process (link above):
1. Statement of Intent - Write a statement of intent that addresses BOTH of the following (no specific length required):
*Why is studying abroad important to your education?
*What are your personal objectives and how will this World Soccer Program in
the France (Paris) help you achieve them?
2. One unofficial copy of your college transcript
3. Two letters of recommendation (at least one must be from a UA faculty member)
Applications should be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, 25 January, 2019. These scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to students who have turned in all requested documentation and our office has verified eligibility. This means that the first TEN applicants who qualify will automatically get the awards. These awards can be used in conjunction with other scholarships.
Awards will be paid after: 1) The awardees have submitted their complete application, 2) Awardees have paid the non-refundable deposit to the Study Abroad Office, and 3) Sufficient enrollment for the program to run is reached. Recipients must use the award in summer 2019.Eligibility
- Full-time UA student in good standing (ANY MAJOR)
- Required: Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
10 awards of $1,500 eachWho Can Apply?
The competitive SILLC Global Award Fund benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared majors in any of the SILLC disciplines. Recipients must use the award the summer, fall, and/or spring immediately following date of the award.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2019
Up to 2-3 awards of $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 each may be awarded in spring 2019 to participate in a UA-approved study or internship abroad program in summer 2019 or during AY 2019-2020. Please submit application materials no later than January 22, 2019, 5pm, to Ms. Stephanie Topete (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Process and Selection
The SILLC Global Award Fund Selection Committee announces a call for applications every academic year in the fall. The Selection Committee reviews applications and meets in person once, no later than January 29, to make a final selection. The Selection Committee decides on the final number of awards based on the Fund’s balance and on the quality of applications. On any given year, the Selection Committee may decide not to give any award. Awards are announced in late January or early February.
Thanks to our Generous Donors
Dr. Alain-Philippe Durand and Dr. Lehman Benson co-created the SILLC Global Award Fund in 2010 and continue their annual commitment of $500. Since then, several other donors have joined them.
Africana Studies, aftucson.org, Alexandra Kennedy, Amy Jane (Anderson) Clashman, Bernice Martinez, Brigitta Lee, Classics, Critical Languages, Dian Li, East Asian Studies, French and Italian, German Studies, Jovan Ruvalcaba, Kim Jones, Mary Wildner-Bassett, moustachebooks.com French Books, Religious Studies, Russian and Slavic Studies
Dr. Lehman Benson (Associate Professor of Management at the UA Eller College of Management) and Dr. Alain-Philippe Durand (Dean, College of Humanities, and Professor of French) created the SILLC Global Award Fund by each pledging $500.00. Dr. Durand continues to pledge a minimum of $500.00 annually. Other UA faculty members and members of the community, and organizations regularly contribute to the fund.
All SILLC departments and programs each contributed $500.00 to jump start the program in 2011-2012: Africana Studies, Classics, Critical Languages, East Asian Studies, French and Italian, German Studies, Religious Studies, Russian and Slavic Studies.
Donors from the community (including beyond Tucson and Arizona) may contribute. Contact Info: email@example.com
Dr. Karen Seat
PO Box 210105
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721-0105
- The applicant must be a UA undergraduate student.
- Must be a declared major in any of the following SILLC disciplines (minors are not eligible):
- Africana Studies
- Classics (Classical Civilization, Greek, or Latin)
- East Asian Studies (Includes Japanese and Chinese)
- French and Francophone Studies
- German Studies
- Italian Studies
- Religious Studies
- Russian and Slavic Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- No less than one academic year in residency left at UA before graduation at time of application.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Statement of intent (1-2 pages)
- Why do you qualify for this award?
- How do you plan to use it? Which UA-approved study or internship abroad program do you plan to pursue?
- How does this award apply to your long-term academic or professional goals?
- Describe any previous travel abroad experiences.
- One letter of recommendation from supporting faculty member (Sent directly from the recommender to email listed above).
- Unofficial UA Transcripts
Up to 2-3 awards of $1,500.00 - $2,000.00 each may be awarded in spring 2019 to participate in a UA-approved study or internship abroad program in summer 2019 or during AY 2019-2020.
The competitive Africana Studies Study Abroad Scholarship benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared majors in Africana Studies. The award supports students who wish to participate in the Africana Studies Summer Study Abroad program in South Africa and Botswana.Eligibility
- Declared a major in Africana Studies
- Have a minimum of 9 units of AFAS either completed or currently enrolled in (including a minimum of 6 AFAS units at the 300 and or 400 levels) at the time of application.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Recipients must use the award in the Summer following when the award is announced.
Ten awards of $2,000 eachWho Can Apply?
- UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared a major in Africana Studies
- Student must have a minimum of 9 units of AFAS either completed or currently enrolled in (including a minimum of 6 AFAS units at the 300 and or 400 levels) at the time of application.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Recipients must use the award in the Summer following when the award is announced.
- Complete online application for the UA Summer Study Abroad in South Africa and Botswana at https://global.arizona.edu/study-abroad/program/doing-business-and-africa
- Statement of Intent (400-600 words) (The statement of intent provides you with an opportunity to introduce yourself to the awards committee on a personal level):
- Convey your personal and academic background (experiences that have shaped you thus far)
- Discuss your motivation for applying for this scholarship
- How will your skills and abilities enable you to engage with and contribute to the larger goal of this travel experience?
- How will you benefit from this program and how does this experience relate to your future goals and your focus in the Africana Studies?
- Demonstrate need for financial assistance
- Unofficial copy of transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation from UA faculty
Please complete your online application for study abroad program no later than February 22, 2019, 5:00 PM. Submit Statement of Intent, letters of recommendation, unofficial copy of transcript to Ms. Marcela Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Letters of recommendation should be emailed by the Professors directly to Marcela Thompson.
Awards of $3,000 each for internships at Hip-HopDXEligibility
Full-time StudentValue of Scholarship
$3,000Who Can Apply?
The Africana Studies Program Offers competitive 100% Engagement Awards of $3,000 each to Africana Studies majors or minors to attend this internship program at Hip-HopDX in Los Angeles, CA. Required: Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5; 1 statement of intent (1-2 pages); 1 unofficial copy of transcripts; 2 letters of recommendation from supporting faculty members; must be a declared major in Africana Studies or declared Minor in Africana Studies with concentration in hip-hop cultures at the time of application; recipients must be selected for the internship by Hip-Hop DX (a division of Cheri Media). Awards will be paid during the internship.
Contact Info for internship, deadlines, and awards: email@example.com