Our department offers or sponsors several scholarships around an array of criteria to enable more opportunities and more experiences to be available to our students.
Africana Studies Awards to Paris, France
Africana Studies is now accepting applications for the Africana Studies Awards to Paris, France Scholarships. The application deadline is December 3, 2021.
Awards will be made based on academic achievement, need, and seniority in the Africana Studies Program (the number of courses taken toward completing the Africana Studies major).
Value of Scholarship: $1000-$1500
- Applicants must be Africana Studies majors in good standing.
- Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Awardees must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units of credit at the University of Arizona during the 2022 Spring semester. Awards are distributed to awardees' bursar accounts to use for educational expenses during the Spring semester.
To apply for this funding, please email the following to Marcela Thompson (email@example.com) by December 3, 2021:
- Your University of Arizona transcript. It is fine to send an unofficial transcript.
- A 1-2 page letter of application, addressing the following points: a) Why did you choose to major in Africana Studies? b) What has the Africana Studies major meant to you? In other words, what impact has the Africana Studies major had on your experience as an undergraduate at the University of Arizona? c) How will this scholarship help you to achieve your goals as a Africana Studies major?
- At the top of your letter of application, please include the following information: your name, your university email address, your major(s), your expected graduation date, and the Africana Studies courses you will have completed by the end of Fall 2021.
Recipients of a previous Africana Studies Award to Paris, Rome Scholarship during a regular award cycle are not eligible for a second scholarship.
Questions? Contact Prof. Bryan Carter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Africana Studies Study Abroad Scholarship for the South Africa and Botswana Program
The competitive Africana Studies Study Abroad Scholarship benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared majors in Africana Studies. The award supports students who wish to participate in the Africana Studies Summer Study Abroad program in South Africa and Botswana. The program provides students with the understanding of how the cultures of South Africa and Botswana have shaped the operations of global businesses in the two countries. Through cultural immersion programming and visits to the major global businesses, student-participants will experience why and how culture matters in international business.
Value of Scholarship: 13 awards of $3,000
- Open to all majors at UA (but preference will be given to Africana Studies majors and minors)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Recipients must use the award in the Summer following when the award is announced.
Application deadline: February 25, 2020
SILLC Global Award Fund
The competitive SILLC Global Award benefits UA undergraduate students in good standing who are declared majors in any of the SILLC disciplines. Award amounts typically range from $1,500-$5,000 to support participation in a study abroad or internship abroad program approved by the University of Arizona's College of Humanities and/or Study Abroad office. Recipients must use the award the summer, fall, and/or spring immediately following date of the award.
Application Deadline: January 21, 2022
- The applicant must be a UA undergraduate student.
- Must be a declared major in any of the following SILLC disciplines (minors are not eligible):
- Africana Studies
- East Asian Studies (Includes Japanese and Chinese)
- French and Francophone Studies
- German Studies
- Italian Studies
- Religious Studies
- Russian and Slavic Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- No less than one academic year in residency left at UA before graduation at time of application.
Application deadline: January 21, 2022
Africana Studies Award for The Arizona World Soccer Program
The Africana Studies Award Fund benefits full-time UA undergraduate students in good standing (IN ANY MAJOR) who wish to participate in the Arizona World Soccer Summer Program.
Link to program on UA Study Aborad: https://global.arizona.edu/study-abroad/program/arizona-world-soccer-program
These scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to students who have turned in all requested documentation and our office has verified eligibility. This means that the first TEN applicants who qualify will automatically get the awards. These awards can be used in conjunction with other scholarships.
Awards will be paid after:
- The awardees have submitted their complete application,
- Awardees have paid the non-refundable deposit to the Study Abroad Office, and
- Sufficient enrollment for the program to run is reached.
Value of Scholarship: $1,500
- Full-time UA student in good standing (ANY MAJOR)
- Required: Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Completed UA Study Abroad application for Arizona World Soccer Program
Application deadline: TBD
Africana Studies 100% Engagement Award for Paid Internship at Hip-HopDX in Los Angeles, CA
The Africana Studies Program Offers competitive 100% Engagement Awards of $3,000 each to Africana Studies majors or minors to attend this internship program at Hip-HopDX in Los Angeles, CA.
Value of Scholarship: $3,000
- Declared major in Africana Studies or declared Minor in Africana Studies with concentration in hip-hop cultures at the time of application
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- recipients must be selected for the internship by Hip-Hop DX (a division of Cheri Media)
Application deadline: TBD